(FORT WORTH, Texas – June 8, 2021) — June is Men’s Health Month, the perfect time for men to reflect on their own health and wellness and make any changes needed to live a healthier, longer life. In honor of this month-long celebration, Care N’ Care (HMO/PPO) Health Plan is encouraging the men in North Texas to take charge of their health and offering some simple tips to help them do so.
The cold hard facts are that the average life expectancy for men is shorter than it is for women. Research suggests that a leading reason for the “longevity gap” is that men don’t take care of themselves as well as women do and often let their health fall by the wayside, even as they grow older. As long as they feel healthy and productive, many men don’t see their doctor regularly, have all of their needed screenings or consider the risks behind serious health issues.
Regardless of past habits, Care N’ Care reminds men that it’s never too early – or too late – to make positive, healthy changes. Here are ten things men can do to take control of their own health:
1. Get an annual physical. Even if you feel perfectly healthy, you should see your provider at least once a year for a checkup. When there, speak openly about any concerns you have, both physical and mental. Just like maintenance on a car, your body needs regular check-ups, too.
2. Get your screenings and shots on time. Make sure you’re getting your regular screenings for prostate and colon cancer, and also that you are getting a flu shot, pneumonia vaccination, a shingles vaccine a combination tetanus/diphtheria booster shot as directed by your doctor.
3. Call or see your doctor when you’re feeling sick or have an injury. Prompt medical care can make a big difference – sometimes, the difference between life and death. Don’t wait and think you can “tough it out.”
4. Maintain a healthy diet by eating healthy foods filled with the nutrients you need as you age.
5. Stay physically active. Regular exercise tones up your heart, circulation, and muscles; strengthens bones; boosts brain function; lifts your mood; and can help prevent and ease depression.
6. Keep your brain active and challenge your brain by trying new things. Do word puzzles, join a book club or sign up for a class at the local library, senior center, or community college. And spend time with others.
7. Don’t smoke. If you do, tell your Care N’ Care healthcare provider and he or she can help you stop.
8. Drink only in moderation. Check with your Care N’ Care doctor to make sure that drinking alcohol—in light to moderate amounts—is alright for you. If you have a health issue or take certain medications, you may need to drink less or not at all.
9. Avoid too much sun as aging skin is more susceptible to sun damage, which increases risks of skin cancer. Use sunscreen year-round and, for added protection, wear a wide-brimmed hat.
10. Don’t forget your teeth. See your dentist at least once a year for cleanings and check-ups. If you wear dentures, they should be checked to make sure they still fit properly. Your dentist should also check for signs of diseases of the mouth, including cancer.
While men and women can be affected by many of the same health conditions, there are some conditions that are particularly prevalent in men. These include heart disease, prostate health, colon cancer, skin cancer, bladder issues, diabetes and depression. A wealth of information on these and other health-related topics, along with valuable health resource guides, are provided free by Care N’ Care and are available at https://tinyurl.com/3dysbjt5
Experts agree that by taking better care of themselves, men can increase their odds of living healthier, longer lives. Men’s Health Month is a perfect time to get started.
Care N’ Care is a Medicare Advantage health plan providing North Texas Medicare beneficiaries in Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Denton, Erath, Rockwall, Hood, Johnson, Palo Pinto, Parker, Somervell, Tarrant and Wise counties affordable alternatives that improve and simplify Medicare coverage. With both PPO and HMO health plans, Care N’ Care offers all of the traditional benefits included in original Medicare plus additional benefits and services. For more information about Care N’ Care and its Medicare Advantage health plans, visit cnchealthplan.com.
# # #