Care N’ Care Health Plan Offers Local Seniors Tips for Healthy Aging
(FORT WORTH, Texas – Jan. 19, 2021) — The pandemic changed the way people lived, socialized and exercised in 2020, especially older adults, who are among those at the highest risk for severe illness from COVID-19. And because the pandemic is still very much with us, Care N’ Care (HMO/PPO) Health Plan believes that there is no more important time than “now” for seniors to make healthy improvements in their lives.
According to Care N’ Care, the No. 1 thing seniors can do for their health is get their annual flu and pneumonia shots … and get the COVID vaccine as soon as it is available. In addition, it is critical to continue following all safety precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including wearing a mask, social distancing, washing your hands often and avoiding large crowds.
With those basic disease prevention precautions in place, Care N’ Care offers local seniors a dozen tips for healthy aging in 2021:
- Walking is an easy, low-cost way to be active. Be mindful of social distancing, and bring a mask along just in case.
- Try new recipes. Explore cookbooks that focus on healthy eating. Consuming a variety of foods will ensure you’re getting all of the nutrients you need.
- Quit smoking. It’s never too late to become a nonsmoker. Smoking increases blood pressure, decreases exercise tolerance and increases the tendency for blood to clot.
- Stretch every day. As you age your muscles tighten and lose flexibility. Stretching will make it easier to perform daily physical tasks.
- Stay hydrated. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty. Drink fluids throughout the day.
- Mind your meds. Take all medicine as prescribed by your doctor. Non-adherence, such as skipping doses or cutting your pills in half, can lead to significant health problems.
- Be mindful. Studies have shown that meditating—even taking a 30-second break for some deep breaths—can have many positive impacts on your life, including better sleep, reduced anxiety and a sense of inner calm.
- Play brain games. Crossword puzzles and other mental exercises are important to maintaining great cognitive fitness.
- Reducing clutter around your house can help decrease your risk of falls and accidents that could lead to loss of mobility and independence. Keep your path between rooms clear, beware of extension cords and other things that could trip you, keep the hallways well-lit, and use night lights.
- Phone a friend. Staying in touch with friends and family helps reduce the risk of depression. Your calls to your friends help them, too!
- See your doctor. It is safe to go to your doctor’s office during the pandemic. Do not delay seeking needed care, and don’t put off your regular checkups or cancer screenings. Those visits help your doctor identify potential health issues before they become a problem.
- Do things that make you happy. Whether it’s reading, painting, FaceTiming with family members or watching your favorite movie on TV, take time to enjoy the simple things in life.
If you’re already doing many of the things on this list, there has never been a better time than now to pick out a few you haven’t done and give them a try. Don’t think of these as just “more New Year’s resolutions” but rather as an opportunity to enjoy wonderful times ahead.
Care N’ Care is a Medicare Advantage health plan providing North Texas Medicare beneficiaries in Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Denton, Erath, Rockwall, Hood, Johnson, Palo Pinto, Parker, Somervell, Tarrant and Wise counties affordable alternatives that improve and simplify Medicare coverage. With both PPO and HMO health plans, Care N’ Care offers all of the traditional benefits included in original Medicare plus additional benefits and services. For more information about Care N’ Care and its Medicare Advantage health plans, visit cnchealthplan.com.
# # #