Care N’ Care Insurance is an HMO and PPO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Care N’ Care depends on contract renewal. To learn more, prospective members call 1-800-994-1076 (TTY 711) from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week, CST.

Current members call 1-877-374-7993 (TTY 711) October 1, 2018 – March 31, 2019, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., (CST) seven days a week or April 1, 2019 – September 30, 2019, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (CST), Monday through Friday.

Star ratings

For 2019, Care N’ Care’s PPO plan received an overall plan rating of 3.5 stars. The HMO plan has yet to be rated. Medicare evaluates plans based on a 5-star rating system. Star ratings are calculated each year and may change from one year to the next. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Health Plan Management System, Plan Ratings 2019. Care N’ Care Insurance Company contract #H6328 and #H2171. You can learn more about Star ratings and Care N’ Care’s star ratings.

Interpreter services

Care N’ Care has free interpreter services to answer any questions you may have about your health or drug plan. To get an interpreter, call the Customer Service department at 1-800-994-1076 (TTY 711). Someone who speaks English or another language can help you. This is a free service.

Care N’ Care Health Plan:

Provides free aids and services to people with disabilities to communicate effectively with us, such as:

  • Qualified sign language interpreters
  • Written information in other formats (large print, audio, accessible electronic formats, other formats)

Provides free language services to people whose primary language is not English, such as:

  • Qualified interpreters
  • Information written in other languages

If you need these services, contact Care N Care. If you believe that Care N’ Care has failed to provide these services or discriminated in another way on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex, you can file a grievance with: Care N’ Care, Attn: Appeals and Grievances, 1701 River Run, Suite 402, Fort Worth, TX 76107, 1-877-374-7993, (TTY 711), 817-810-5214.

You can file a grievance in person or by mail, fax, or email. If you need help filing a grievance, Care N’ Care is available to help you. You can also file a civil rights complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, electronically through the Office for Civil Rights Complaint Portal, available at https://ocrportal.hhs.gov/ocr/portal/lobby.jsf, or by mail or phone at: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 200 Independence Avenue, SW Room 509F, HHH Building Washington, D.C. 20201 1-800-368-1019, 800-537-7697 (TDD) Complaint forms are available at http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/office/file/index.html.